Digital Marketing News
3rd Apr, 2020
Are you ready for Search Engine Optimisation 2020?
Google algorithms have changed and if you aren't following the trends, you are going to miss this boat! As an SEO specialist, I would like to discuss some important SEO matters in this piece. So let's dive right in.
• Mobile Optimisation
• Voice Search Optimisation
• Visual Search Optimisation
• Video Marketing
• Content Marketing
What is Mobile Optimisation?
Mobile Optimisation refers to optimizing a website specifically for a mobile device.
For those of you who don't know, Google enabled mobile-first indexing from as early as September 2018. In the last 7 years, mobile traffic has increased by 222%. Statista reported that about 20 to 22 million people in South Africa use smartphones and that there are more mobile phones than taxis, televisions, and radios combined in South Africa.
Accessing a website on a mobile device can sometimes be frustrating. People are impatient and won't wait around for a site to load or spend time trying to find a product on your site. By optimizing your site for mobile, you encourage your users to convert by reducing lag time and bounce rate on your site.
HOW TO OPTIMISE FOR MOBILE
- Improve your site's loading time
- Use a Responsive Web Design
- Optimize your title and meta descriptions
- Don't use Flash or pop-ups
- Create a consistent look and feel
- Keep the navigation simple
- Make your website scannable
Every major brand prioritizes mobile Optimisation and it's time you do the same.
What is Voice Search Optimisation?
Voice Search Optimisation is the Optimisation of keywords and keyword phrases for search queries through voice assistants.
Voice Search is an emerging trend because it is convenient and easy to use. For people who don't have the time to type, it takes away the typing element completely.
VOICE SEARCH STATISTICS
- 55% of teens and 41% of adults use voice search more than once a day
- 46% of voice search consumers use voice search daily to find information on local businesses
- 58% of consumers used voice search to find information on a local business in the last 12 months
HOW TO OPTIMISE FOR VOICE SEARCH
- Do keyword research
- Ensure that your site is Mobile Friendly
- Start focusing on long-tail keywords
- Consider creating an FAQ page
- Use questions & answers in your content
- Claim your Google My Business Listing
Voice Search is huge right now and it's only getting bigger. It takes time to climb in the rankings and this is exactly why you should start focusing on Voice Search Optimisation in 2020.
What is Visual Search?
Visual Search is the ability to search by image. It identifies an object within the image and then searches for images related to that object.
Millennials desire the ability to visually search for any other new technology. Humans process visuals a lot faster than text and that is why it is essential to optimize your images to help more people find your product.
VISUAL SEARCH STATISTICS
- 62% of millennials want visual search over any other new technology
- By 2021, early adopter brands that redesign their websites to support visual search will increase digital commerce revenue by 30%
- There are over 600 million visual searches on Pinterest each month
HOW TO OPTIMISE FOR VISUAL SEARCH
- Optimize image titles and descriptions
- Use High-Resolution Images
- Add Alternative text to your images
- Optimize your image file size and type
- Name the image correctly
If your business relies on customers viewing and purchasing your products online, visual search should be a priority.
What is Video Marketing?
Video Marketing is making use of video to promote and market your products & services.
VIDEO MARKETING STATISTICS
- By 2021, 80% of all internet traffic will be video
- 92% of marketers say that video is an important part of their marketing strategy
- By 2021, people will spend 100 minutes a day watching online videos
- 6 out of 10 people would rather watch online videos than television
- Mobile video consumption rises by 100% every year
So many people consume online videos daily but not a lot of companies have implemented video into their marketing strategy. Video is continuing to surge which is why it is important to focus on video marketing.
HOW TO OPTIMISE YOUR VIDEOS
- Create quality video content
- Embed video content into your blog posts
- Provide video transcripts
- Organize your videos into discrete sections
- Make sure that your thumbnail is engaging
- Optimize the title and description of the video
- Make the video the focus of the page
In South Africa, 97% of regular internet users are watching videos online. By making use of video marketing you can reach millions of people.
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is the creation and publishing of content to attract and retain a target audience.
CONTENT MARKETING STATISTICS
-60% of marketers create at least one piece of content each day
- Each year site traffic is 7.8x higher for content marketing leaders than followers
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing
- Content marketing generates 3 times as many leads as traditional marketing
Content marketing helps to improve conversions by allowing you to educate and connect to your customers.
HOW TO OPTIMISE YOUR CONTENT
- Find a topic your target audience cares about
- Use keywords in your content
- Write with authority
- Ensure that your content is relevant to your target audience
- Optimize your content with images and videos
- Optimize the visuals being used for the content
It doesn't matter what type of product or service you are selling. You can use content to help you increase your conversions.
The world of digital marketing is changing day by day and these are the most important trends to follow for Search Engine Optimisation in 2020. Whether you haven't yet optimized your site for these trends or you are still not sure what the best SEO practices are, it's not too late to get started.